Monday

Roscoe: My Brother, My Friend

Dear Friends and loved ones,
We gather today to remember the life of my brother Roscoe on this, his thirteenth birthday. We were born on a cool fall day at a farm in northern Indiana. Roscoe was runt of the liter; small, sickly and in need of extra attention.


I saw to it from the start that I would always be there to watch over him, protect him, play with him, cuddle him, and love him.



Though there were other kittens in the litter, Roscoe and I shared an extra bond. Where ever one went, the other was sure to follow. The woman who owned us recognized this right away and tried desperately to find a home that would take us both. But that autumn no one seemed interested in two kittens. One by one, our brothers and sisters left for their new homes, until it was just Roscoe and I left. Though our human had only hoped for one kitten that Christmas, she got two.
Roscoe and I were inseparable from the start. In the (almost) thirteen years we were together, we were never separated. Not once. We ate together, slept together, played together, got into trouble together and even fought together.


On cold winter days, you could always find us snuggled up together in front of the radiator. Without Roscoe, this winter will surly be a cold one.


Roscoe and I had very different personalities from the start. He always acted like a fun, loving kitten (even when he was old) who was always interested in playing, greeting guests, and meowing at the top of his lungs. I, on the other hand, have always been more like a cat; even when I was a kitten. It takes me a while to warm up to people, I am always cautious, quiet, and I HATE it when strangers come to our home.


I always thought that Roscoe was lucky to have me. I was the one who kept him safe. I was the cautious voice of reason who kept us out of trouble. But now I understand just how wrong I was. I was the lucky one. It was Roscoe who taught me to think young, have fun and enjoy the most out of every day.


There are no words to tell you how much I miss my brother. I call out to him late at night, meowing into a darkness that never answers back. I sometimes forget that he is gone and find myself checking the closets where he liked to curl up for naps. Life will go on without Roscoe, but I assure you mine will NEVER be the same.

These past two weeks our human have noticed a difference in my personality. I am starting to talk much more and I have become more playful. Every once in a while, she catches me pouncing on my toy mice; something I haven't done much in recent years. I do this for Roscoe. Every time I walk into a room talking, every time I pounce on a toy or chase our human's shoe laces it is like a part of Roscoe is still alive in our home. I will honor and remember him by keeping our home a fun place to live.

Roscoe will always be alive, in our memories and deep inside our hearts.


Thank you Roscoe for being the best brother a cat could ever have. Until we meet again.....

Love,
Opus

11 comments:

G and G A said...

What a nice tribute to your brother. You two were always the best of buds and forever looking out for each other.
I know you, Opus, now realize that Roscoe is not with you at home and I hope you will get comfort in knowing that he is now free from being ill.
You two were so close that your names were almost one, if you said Opus's name yours followed. Each day you spent being together sharing in play, food, and best of all sleep.
Roscoe is forever young and playing with his friends over the bridge and making new friends.
Love to sweet Roscoe, what a wonderful grandkitty you were.

Sassy Kat said...

What cute photos of you and your brother when you were kittens.
I know Roscoe was so sick and when I see the photos of him as a little kitten I know that over the bridge he is feeling young and healthy. I am sure you are planning new adventures or maybe you even have been on a few since you left.
Just know how much you were and still are loved. A big hole is in my heart since you left but it is filled up with the memories we made.
We still miss having you here and I know your brother misses you, as all who knew you do.
Peace to you sweet sweet Roscoe, how I miss you.

The Cat Realm said...

Oh my - you were such adorable kittens!!! I know how you feel, Opus, life has changed forever for me too the day Anastasia left. I love Mrs. OZ and I loved Edgar and I love Tintin - but Anastasia and I had that bond that you and Roscoe had. I will see her again at the bridge - as you will be with Roscoe again.
Meanwhile we just have to stick together! I would invite you to come over but I think you shouldn't leave your human alone right now - she'll need you very much! The amount of consoling I had to do with my staff was incredible....
Karl

Anonymous said...

Oh dear little Opus,

how yu must be missing your beautiful brother. But remember he is never far away and you will be reunited one day. Love from Milo's mom.

Opus,

I am sad for you - but it is wonderful that you will always be able to celebrate for Roscoe and yourself every birthday. It can be a special remembering the joy time for you. Love from Milo. xx

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Opus,
Since we are sure your staff need you to console them we shall simply teleport over to visit you so you won't be alone. We know it will not be the same but we are very good at snuggling. ~Socks, Scylla & Charybdis

Kellykat said...

This is a beautiful tribute to your brother. Thank you for sharing this special day with all of us.
-Stryder, Scotchy, Sugar & Kellykat

Jans Funny Farm said...

Losing your brother and best friend is traumatic. You are fortunate to have Cyndi and Danilo to love you, even though it won't be the same. They can't cuddle by the radiator with you or snuggle in the closet. But they're there. Cuddle with them. They miss Roscoe too.

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Oh Sweet Opus...now Mumsie is bawling openly...I always think it's hardest for the sibs left behind...Play sweet Opus....it's a tribute to ur bro...and to those who watch, it will bring joy....

Loving thoughts...Lacie, Scruff and Stan

Just Ducky said...

Opus Happy 13th Purrthday! Your first without your lifelong companion Roscoe. Life does go on and you are coping. Interesting that you are taking over a few of his habits and mannerism. Love to you.

Purrs,

Derby

Angel MoMo and Charlotte said...

Those are some great pictures of the times you shared. I have never had a sibling to grow up with but I can imagine the bond between you two and how precious it is.

How curious that you are trying yo be 'Roscoe' to your mom!

Asta said...

Deawest Opus
I know how much you miss youw sweet Bwuvvew, but please take a moment to be happy fow youw Birfday..you have to cheew youw Mom and Dad now, and that' a vewy big job, but I know you awe mowe that capable of it..Roscoe will help you fwom heaven.
Happy Birfday deaw fwiend..don't be sad..you have the bestest bwuvvew in the wowld, and I know thinkgs will nevew be the same, but he'll always be wif you
smoochie kisses
Love
ASta